Mustard Charred Broccoli
This recipe takes simple planks of broccoli and turns them into rock stars...they carry a Hendrix swagger a Jagger pout and a Billy Idol sneer. This Indian broccoli vegetarian recipe can also be adapted to suit vegan tastes too..it's a simple dish, requires little effort and just needs a healthy appetite. Stalks are dredged in mustard, yoghurt, a chaat masala blend and charred until sweet surrender.
Serves 4 as a side
- 2 small heads of broccoli
- 120g whole Greek yogurt (or vegan equivalent)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1tbs vegetable oil (to brush broccoli)
Works really well with Malai Chicken Kebabs too
How To Make Mustard Charred Broccoli
- Trim broccoli stems, then cut away from heads. Peel stems and slice lengthwise into ¼"-thick planks. Break up heads into large florets. Cook florets and stems in a large pot of boiling salted water until bright green and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain, then transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Whisk yogurt, mustard oil, mustard, chili powder, chaat masala, cumin, and turmeric in a large bowl. Add broccoli and toss to coat; season with salt.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat; oil grate. Grill broccoli, turning occasionally, until charred in spots, 5–7 minutes