Mango & Mackerel Salad
Lentil & Mango Mackerel
This salad is like treating your palate to a gastronomic spa. It’s fresh, textured, delicious and rich in all the good stuff, iron, vit C, omega-3 and calcium. Apart from making your taste-buds break dance it’s a quick and simple salad, which thanks to our lentil super heroes is satisfyingly filling.
- 250g Mixed lentils, pre-boiled for 20-30 minutes until soft
- 4 peppered smoked mackerel fillets, skinned and broken into chunks
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 200g fresh young spinach leaves
- 100g watercress sprigs
- Mint leaves, small palmful, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 mango, skinned and sliced into chunks
Lime and chilli dressing
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 2 tsp black onion (nigella) seeds
- Salt and sugar to season
How To Make Mango & Mackerel Salad
Refresh the lentils in cold water and drain thoroughly and set aside.
Now it’s time to make the dressing. Use a mixing bowl and pour in the oils, add the chillies, seeds and whisk in the lime zest and juice, season with salt and sprinkling of sugar.
Use a large salad bowl and add all the leaves, spring onions, and lentils, mix thoroughly. Dress four plates with the salad bowl ingredients, then layer with mackerel and mango in equal portions. Drip the dressing over each plate. Serve straight away and devour.
Photograph: Emma Lee
Yes, that’s right a touch of seasoning to go in to the boiling water with the lentils, I tend to use about 1tsp.