Chicken Reshmi Kebabs
Reshmi Kebab Naanini
Toasted hot bread. I know it’s a contender for the title of Comfort Food, this our spin on the Italian version of a Panini. Entering the ring is the Indian subcontinent’s Naanini, a toasted flatbread wrap with plenty of spiced muscle and moves that’ll send hunger into a dizzy spin.
Silky tender chicken kebab soaked in a ginger and cashew nut bath and grilled just right, is paired with an Indian national treasure…Channa Chaat Salad.
Yield: 4 portions
Use 1 soft folding naan for each portion:
- 500 grams of boneless chicken thighs, diced for skewers
- 2 tbs double cream
- 2 tbs greek yoghurt
- 5 almonds
- 8 cashew nuts
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 4 finger green chillies, de-seeded and chopped
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 bunch chopped coriander leaves
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp salt
- Melted butter for basting
- 200g radishes, roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 200g pomegranate seeds
- small bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 4 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed thoroughly
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp chaat masala
How To Make Reshmi Kebabs
1. Blend the almonds, cashews with cream and yogurt.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients to the cubed chicken along with the ground paste.
3. Marinate and refrigerate for about 4 hours to overnight.
4. Heat the grill to high (240oC) and brush the grill tray with a little oil.
5. Thread the chicken on the skewers and grill for 15 mins. Turn them and grill again for 15 mins or until cooked.
6. Brush the melted butter over the grilled kebabs.
7. Serve with mint chutney.
How To Make Chaat Salad
1. Take a bowl and pop the radishes, onion, pomegranate seeds and coriander in.
2. Using a frying pan over a medium heat, warm the oil and then drop in the mustard and cumin seeds until they fizz and pop and then add the chickpeas.
3. Cook the chickpeas for 5 minutes, allowing them to crisp a little, then add the chilli powder, salt, sugar and lemon juice. Allow to cool.
4. Add the chickpeas to the bowl, dust in the chaat masala and mix well.
5. Using a soft folding naan, spoon a portion of the chaat salad as base and then add a portion of the Reshmi Chicken kebab with a healthy dollop of lemon and mint dressing. Fold and toast.