Black Pineapple Chutney
Hot Fruit Chutney
This sharp, tangy and fruity ‘black’ pineapple is so good it could be a pudding. Steeped in star anise, cinnamon and a cannon of black spices it’s the perfect complement to smoky flavours.
- 1 pineapple, large, cut into 1cm chunks
- 2 apples, cubed
- 1 knob of ginger, 1 inch in length, finely chopped
- 120ml of cider vinegar
- 50g of soft brown sugar
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1/2 tsp black onion seeds
- 5cm stick of cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 8 cloves
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
How To Make Black Pineapple Chutney
- Peel and chop the pineapple, ginger and apples. Place all of the ingredients in a saucepan over a medium heat and bring to a steady simmer
- Adjust the temperature to keep it from boiling too hard and leave to bubble for 1.5 – 2 hours until the mixture is thick, fragrant and caramel-hued.
- Taste and adjust salt and sugar to your preference if necessary. Spoon into a hot, sterilised jar and seal while hot.